Spinsterella

Friday, July 27, 2012

Expat blues

I should probably have mentioned that, since my last blog-flurry, that I have moved. Quite far away from good old London. About 6,000 miles, in fact.

I wasn't exactly keen on the notion when it was first mooted. When you're in your late 30s and just about managing to cling on to something resembling a social life, moving to the other side of the world, where you don't know a single, solitary soul, is a bit daunting.

Well, if I don't like it, I can always go home - I thought. Except it's not that simple. Because I've signed a two year work contract, and a two year rental lease, a two year internet contract - the list goes on. God only knows what I've signed to be honest, I just smile and nod and pretend I understand what they're saying as I hand over VAST amounts of cash (literally cash as well) for various inexplicable reasons. And becasue I don't know anybody here, there is no-one to ask, is this normal?

And I did. Want to go home that is, for a while at least. I had an incredibly predictable three-month wobble where I was sure I was about to be sacked and I was exhausted and lonely and it's just too fucking hot all the fucking time and I wanted my daddy. I just wanted to give it all up and move home and work in a fruit'n'veg shop or something.

But that's passed now. And even though the climate's awful, the food's not exactly veggie-friendly, and I'm paying an extraordinary amount of money to live in one of the smallest flats ever built, I kind of like it here...

Two years seems like an awfully long time, though.

3 Comments:

  • Ah, tiny apartments? hot summers? You must be in .. Japan? If so, I feel your pain.

    By Blogger Timorous Beastie, at 3:39 PM  

  • No, not Japan. Perhaps I shuold have moaned about the humidity rather than the heat - I'm in Hong Kong.

    It's fucking boiling!

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 2:09 AM  

  • Oh, I love Hong Kong, but yes, much hotter and more humid that Japan. It's nice in the winter, if you can hold out that long.

    By Blogger Timorous Beastie, at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home