Spinsterella

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

HOUSE! Nah....

So.

I was feeling catastrophically sorry for myself. I spentthe Easter break visiting my aged parents back 'home', because, frankly, I've not got anything better to do, and also because I have a sense of duty (unlike my siblings moanmoanmoan).

And I was feeling especially miserable as I waited for the 11.20pm bus from the airport. I am nearly 40 FFS, when am I going to reach the point where I could, say, afford to hire a car for a couple of days? Or book into a hotel for a late night/early morning flight? Or just afford the extra £30 to fly at a reasonable hour in the bloody first place? Anyhow...

On a related topic:

None of my friends live in shitty freezing cold rooms in shitty shared houses with morons. They all own houses; not just houses but massive, fuck-off 4-bed monstrosities. (This bugs me sometimes.)

But on Holy Thursday, as I walked down the streets of my home town, I found myself looking in the various estate agents' windows. And it turns out you can buy a two-bed house in my home town for £70,000.

£70K? I could afford that! Easily. Even with my redundancy-depleted savings and entry-level lucky-to-have-it current job, I could actually Own A House.

But I don't want to. Not in that unremitting shit-pit of a 'city' at least.

I suddenly feel like I have some control over my life again. Living in a shitty shared house is, I suppose, something of a lifestyle choice. 'Cos otherwise I'd fuck off home, wouldn't I?

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Can't you buy it and rent it out? (Then you could go and laugh at your tenants.)

    London is criminally, mentally expensive. It's not just you - it's a result of housing policy (Thatcher selling off council housing then successive governments cleverly deciding not to build any more - basically, there's no such thing as affordable housing any more, people are being priced out of the city.)

    Sometimes I toy with the idea of going off to Saudi Arabia or somewhere to teach English & earn a nice tax free fortune to buy a house, before remembering I'd rather stick needles in my eyes. It makes me happier with my choices too.

    By Blogger Annie, at 9:46 PM  

  • Isn't worth thinking about it - cheap places are cheap because they're shit and nobody in their right mind wants to live there.

    I'd rather be broke in London than well off in some ghastly provincial shit-hole.

    Wouldn't worry about clawing your way onto the property ladder - it's nice to own a place if you can afford it, but it's not worth financially decimating yourself over.

    By Blogger LC, at 5:32 PM  

  • I don't actually have any greeat desire to own a place. I'd just like to be able to afford to rent a wee one-bed flat.

    But it was nice to realise that if I really wanted to, I could join my friends in saddling myself with a massive 25-year debt burden - no fanks!

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home