Spinsterella

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's never too late to try new things

I've never been a joiner. Never played team sports, never been part of a club, never had a hobby (apart from top secret super-indulgent internet over-sharing, obviously).

Until now, things just seemed to happen organically in terms of making friends or finding people to go to the pub with.

Plus there's never been anything I wanted to do, or learn. Things I like doing with my spare time are reading, mooching around, gym classes (though not the ones where you have to team up with other people), and listening to Radio 4. Not activities you'll ever need an evening class for.

But, being desperately miserable with my living situation and lack of friends to Do Stuff With (see a few posts back), I finally got off my arse, and joined a book group.

And do you know what? I had a great time!

Me and about six other randoms had a few drinks and chatted, mostly not about the book at all. And some of us are going out for a non-book drink soon.

It seems, against all odds, I may have made some new friends.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • excellent. Where did you find the group? I'd love to join one but every single one I've come across through friends up here has a waiting list (the pretentious arses).

    By Blogger GreatSheElephant, at 9:52 PM  

  • I found them on the internets!

    There's a forum for the area I live and at least two book clubs on there.

    Definitly no waiting lists though. Very informal and completely unpretentious.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 9:58 PM  

  • Hurrah! Me too I want to join one.

    I'd also like to meet more friends as babies & kids absorb all my old friends. I'm going to set up a social club for the childless 30s & 40s where we don't have to apologise for not spawning & still wanting to go out...

    By Blogger Annie, at 10:03 PM  

  • Wow. So there is hope for us non-joiners.

    By Blogger One Fine Weasel, at 3:06 AM  

  • I want to join a book club but the last one I showed an interest in turned out to be reading a recipe book. Eh?

    By Blogger Annie, at 4:58 PM  

  • the one downside is that you have to go against all your natural instincts and actually become a joiner.

    I'd be well up for a non-breeders social club. Not a recipe book reading one though - wtf?

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home