Spinsterella

Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Oh the horror...

...a wedding invite.

I thought I'd seen the last one ever last year. Then, to my immense suprise this week, I got an invite out of the blue.

Wedding's at Easter - wow, how'd they manage to book a church and top venue at such short notice? I thought. Then I realised - with the aid of a bit of facebook snooping - that they got engaged yonks ago. And they seem to have moved in together at some point as well.

Why don't I know all this quite important information? Well because this friend is one of the two that totally dropped off the planet when I lost my job (and no longer had loads of free tickets for them to take advantage of). Actually, it's probably more to do with the fact that they both got girlfriends shortly before that and ... well, you know how that works with some people.

I admit that I am being massively oversensitive and possibly a little bit silly about this.

I also totally cannot afford to go. Or at least, I do not want to spend fuckloads of money on an evening feeling uncomfortable with a bunch of people I used to be friends with five years ago. Oh yeah, and I'd almost certainly be the only single person in the building.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • fuck them. Seriously. He stopped being friends with you when you could no longer get him freebies and now he suddenly rears his ugly head again just so you can spend ££££ buying him a wedding present? Unless you really want this asshat back in your life or there is some way he can start being seriously useful to you in a work sense just decline gracefully and forget him.

    By Blogger GreatSheElephant, at 7:14 PM  

  • Me and most of my old friends (3) have let each other go. The ones that used me years ago actually let me go.

    Weddings are miserable affairs on a par with freemasons' do's.

    By Blogger Geoff, at 8:53 PM  

  • I hear you. I think I'm done with weddings. Even free cake and champagne will not tempt me anymore.

    Worst of all is the gift list.

    By Blogger Annie, at 10:50 PM  

  • Tell him you'll go to his funeral.

    By Blogger Tim Footman, at 2:47 AM  

  • DON'T GO. Weddings are a huge, meaningless exercise in ego gratification and present accumulation. They don't sound like particularly pleasant people either, so it's not worth the time/money/effort ...

    ... unless you intend to stand up during the ceremony to announce that they're a pair of cunts, in which case go ahead!

    By Blogger Betty, at 9:18 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Betty, at 9:18 AM  

  • Get shitfaced and cause A Scene. I've always wanted to ruin somebody's wedding. Apart from my own, I mean.

    By Blogger LC, at 10:00 AM  

  • On the other hand I suppose you could show up wearing an old outfit, eat and drink till you are sick and not buy a present. Sounds like something the groom might identify with.

    By Blogger GreatSheElephant, at 10:06 AM  

  • Oh, thank you ALL!

    Other than the cost, and potential awkwardness, I'm concerned that I'd drink way too much (well, that's a given) and make a big "why aren't we friends any more?" type scene.

    I ain't going.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home