Spinsterella

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Too Little, Too Late

My Accountant Friend often has to go to what he calls ‘ra-ra corporate do’s’ of an evening. In my old job, where I was office-bound I was pretty envious - free booze and food. He played it down – your bosses are there, it’s all about networking , it's not fun. But still, free booze and food!

However, in my current job, I have to sometimes go out of an evening and of course the grass is always greener. Most of the time I’d rather not. I’d rather come home after a long day in the office and read a book, or blog, or even listen to my pigshit-thick flatmate witter on than go out and be pleasant to some random work-related folk.

And because my job, like so much else in my life, is pretty low-rent, there isn’t even always free drink. When there is, you still have to get up at 6am the next day so you can't really indulge.

But last week I ended up meeting the boss of some folk I do some work with with - he was visiting from Up London where all the sexy people live. And do you know what? – he was a bit of a fox. Because I fancied him I got a wee bit drunk and shouted at him (good-naturedly, like).

He gave as good as he got. I like.

By the time I left the business handshake we’d said hello with had turned into a cheek-peck kiss goodbye. Hmmm. He’s nice, I thought.

Three days later, I realised that my phone battery had died. Re-juiced, it beeped with a text.
Sent at 11:30pm, which, by my reckoning, was the minute he’d gotten back to his hotel room.

It was lovely to meet you (‘lovely’! so much better than ‘good’, or even ‘great’), see you soon (ooh – when?), Jon x

A kiss! I’m well in there.

Or, at least I guess I would have been if it hadn’t taken me three frigging days to respond.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • all is not lost. just tell him what happened.

    after my first date with HairyMan I lost my phone but didn't realize it. When I found it a week later there were 3 missed calls from him. I rang him up, asked him to dinner, and it only got better from there.

    By Blogger Chaucer's Bitch, at 12:08 AM  

  • All's definitely not lost. And he sounds like FUN.

    By Blogger Valerie, at 1:07 AM  

  • No, all is not lost. Three days is nothing in the big scheme of things. Besides, aren't you supposed to treat 'em mean to keep 'em keen (or something like that)?

    By Blogger Betty, at 8:33 AM  

  • lost? lost?

    pft.

    By Anonymous louche, at 10:04 AM  

  • 2nd what everyone said

    *wanders off to check phone just incase*

    By Blogger GreatSheElephant, at 10:26 AM  

  • After three days of not hearing from you he will be half-crazed with lust. Alternatively, he will have fallen in love twice since then.

    Either of these is a real possibility.

    By Anonymous wyndham, at 1:57 PM  

  • Don't be ridiculous - most English women would have kept him hanging on for three days before replying as a matter of course, so I doubt he's already written you off. Give him a shout you daft mare.

    By Blogger LC, at 2:42 PM  

  • Ptcha. He'll just think you were playing it cool. Call him.

    By Blogger Hannah, at 12:12 PM  

  • So this job, right, Spin; it doesn't in any way involve getting the work of hitherto unpublished bloggers made into hugely successful books and making them shitloads of money, does it?

    I'm not averse to doing the odd advert voice-over in "That all-pervasive from-nowhere English accent" of mine, if that helps....

    Bob

    p.s. how about Geordies?

    By Blogger Robert Swipe, at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home