Spinsterella

Monday, October 22, 2007

Spinsterella Goes Out With Someone - Part 1.5

(How he sneakily upgraded me to 'girlfriend' status.)


It had been a few weeks. We were out and about one night and we’d had a few drinks.

"So," he said, "have we gone beyond dating now?"

I changed the subject. I like dating. I liked dating him. But I didn’t want to be someone’s girlfriend.

A few days later, while we were sober, he said the same thing. I laughed.

"Did you notice the way I cunningly side-stepped that question the last time you mentioned it?" We had a funny piss-taking chat about dating and relationships that carried on cheerfully into other gerenal subjects. Avoided again - phew.

But the following week, we were out in a bar.

"Last night, a girl threw herself at me," he said. "She really wanted to come home with me but I said no. I turned her down because of you. Was I right?"

What a clever bastard.

"Well of course," I said – if you’re going out with me, you’re not to be fucking around with anyone else. But he had a point, subtly put. You can’t expect someone to be faithful if you’re not offering any sort of commitment.

"Good," he said, happily.

"Good," I agreed. Uncomfortably.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • Awww...that's beautiful.

    By Blogger Quote, at 6:32 AM  

  • ooh that *was* very sneaky!

    By Anonymous louche, at 8:35 AM  

  • Who says romance is dead?

    By Blogger Hannah, at 1:18 PM  

  • damn that's dirty, but i gotta respect the guy's brains.

    By Blogger Chaucer's Bitch, at 11:55 PM  

  • I rather liked it actually.

    Showed that he'd figured out how to make me admit to being his GF without getting all soppy and 'I really like you' about it. Sharp enough to know that that would put me right off.

    Also made no bones about the fact that he's in a position where women throuw themselves at him.

    It's nice to know that yer fella's in demand, isn't it?

    Although - maybe he only turned her down cos she was a fat munter... who knows?

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 7:37 PM  

  • On the other hand... he turned her down because he felt an obligation to you, because he thought it was the right thing to do. Not because he was so smitten with you that the thought of shagging someone else was abhorrent. It's as if he didn't want to breach the terms of a tenancy agreement.

    And I still can't get my head round "date" as a verb. What ever happened to good old "going out with"? And yes, the policemen are getting younger, and it's political correctness gone mad...

    By Blogger Tim Footman, at 3:15 AM  

  • Dating? It was all "are yer courtin' yet?" in my day.

    I think alarm bells would've been ringing in that situation, but then men who seemed even slightly possessive terrified me and I'd usually dump them before they had the chance to hold a knife to my throat ...

    ... ahem.

    By Blogger Betty, at 4:26 PM  

  • 'Dating' becasue he's American.

    sorry - didn't explain that bit.

    Plus 'going out with' sounds to me a lot more, er, heavy*, than 'dating'.



    *'Heavy'? What is wrong with me? I don't talk like this really, honest.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 9:00 PM  

  • Oooh, an American. How could you leave that out? It's like failing to mention that he weighed 35 stone, or had no thumbs.

    Did he bellow "yeee-haaaah!" at the point of no return?

    By Blogger Tim Footman, at 2:00 AM  

  • Hmmmmm. A sneaky bugger. But smart.

    By Anonymous bohémienne, at 7:18 PM  

  • yee haw?

    yee haw, Tim? what; she was dating Ted Nugent?

    bullet DODGED, spin.

    By Blogger First Nations, at 9:36 PM  

  • Oh c'mon it's better than the awkward,and lame, "I really like you, do you like me?"

    Or the verbal minefield of "Erm so are we exclusive?" Often misinterpreted as are you a big tart?

    Give the guy his dues, he liked you, Spin. He wanted to find out whether you were on the same page, without putting his neck on the line. Unfortunately you weren't, but at least you found that out sooner rather than later. I like him, he sounds nice, but maybe not for you.

    Now more importantly: WHAT IS A JINNER?!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home