Spinsterella

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Spinsterella Goes Out With Someone - Part 1

I was early as usual. I exchanged a couple of ‘been served?’ words with the guy at the end of the bar before perching myself on a bar stool, waiting for my friends.

Then, for some reason, I did something I’ve never done before in my life. I turned round and spoke to him.

‘Do you work here?’ I asked. Dear God. Not the most original of chat up lines, but he had something of a proprietorial air about him - I’d taken him for a just-off-duty bar manager.

‘No,’ he said, and it turned out that he has a pretty sexy interesting job that has just the slightest overlap with mine so we know a couple of the same people. Common ground established we got chatting. It went well. Very well.

He was fit. Hot enough that I was desperately wishing that I’d chosen to wear something other than an ancient band t-shirt and jeans. And I was thanking the lord that I’d at least patched up my make up before leaving the house.

There was a sparkle in his eyes as we chatted. We made one another laugh, we talked about music, and he seemed to enjoying my company as much as I was enjoying his.

I’ve never been so glad that my friends were late and was almost annoyed when, in dribs and drabs, they finally arrived. Soon we were moving on. I turned round to say goodbye to cute bloke.

God, I thought, this is going to be awkward. We’ve obviously really hit it off, but what next?

So I almost fell off of my chair when he said:

“It’s been good talking with you, do you want to go out to dinner some time next week?”

And just like that, I was back in the saddle again.

(Just in case anyone doen't know the full story, this is all very much in the past tense. I am finally getting around to telling the story of a bloke I went out with quite a few months ago, back when I wasn't blogging. Obviously, it didn't last.)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • What sort of chair did you nearly fall off?

    By Blogger Quote, at 10:50 PM  

  • A bar stool - see first paragraph.

    Honestly, you internets kids, no attention span...

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 9:54 AM  

  • oh good for you.

    hope it goes well

    By Anonymous louche, at 10:45 AM  

  • Ooh ooh - can you hurry up and post part 2 please?

    By Blogger rockmother, at 11:52 AM  

  • When my friends are late at the bar, I lean and face the door, I've never thought of engaging someone in conversation.

    By Blogger Billy, at 5:12 PM  

  • I almost fell off my chair when I first read this because I was expecting the usual final paragraph where things went horribly wrong.

    Then I read the update ... oh well.

    By Blogger Betty, at 9:07 PM  

  • i'm with betty...i thought you'd turn around and find him with his finger up one nostril past the first knuckle or something.

    By Blogger First Nations, at 1:48 AM  

  • Waits with bated breath for next instalment ....

    By Blogger llewtrah, at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home