Spinsterella

Saturday, September 08, 2007

New Year’s Eve 1994

1992 hadn’t been a great one – being sober at midnight on a dangerously-rammed dancefloor covered in broken glass isn’t a good idea.

1993 was marked by hideous boyfriend-related matters.

But in 1994 I was home from university and was almost looking forward to running into some old faces and crowing about my new exciting life over the water. I went out with a couple of old school friends, Anna and Sarah.

The hours went on and much vodka was consumed. Midnight chimed and Anna was snogging her boyfriend while Sarah was also snogging someone. Who? I don’t know now, and I didn’t know then.

And I was all alone. My triumphant homecoming nothing more than a sham. I had no boyfriend, and, at that crucial moment, no friends.

But it was just a moment. By the time Auld Lang Syne had kicked in the couples had detachedthemselves from one another and I was somehow part of that weird cross-armed circle that’s unique to New Year’s Eve.

Eventually, and many, many vodkas later the night ended.

The next thing I recall is the three of us were walking up the road to my house eating a take out and me throwing a girly of epic proportions. I cried and cried and cried.

I blamed my emotional outburst on the fact that it was the anniversary of Last Year, and regaled Sarah with the details – Anna already knew. But that wasn’t the truth of the matter. I was just really upset that my friends had abandoned me at midnight.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • I hate, hate, hate New Year's Eve. At best it's okay, but most of the time I could say I've had more fun on a boring weekend night down the pub. And the cost...

    By Blogger Billy, at 11:38 PM  

  • One of those most liberating feelings in the world was realising that I no longer felt the crushing pressure to enjoy New Year's Eve. That and weeing in the sea.

    By Blogger Gary James, at 7:26 PM  

  • and then what happened??????

    *still turning handsprings!*

    By Blogger First Nations, at 7:49 PM  

  • I've had lots of miserable NYEs. Pretty much all of them.

    Therefore - there are about 10 NYE posts coming up. Yese'll be slitting your wrists before too I get to the end.

    (Are you sure you're glad I'm back?)

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 8:28 PM  

  • Will ye be supplying razor blades then, Spinny? Or will we have to make do with the auld rusty knife in the kitchen drawer?

    By Blogger The Muller, at 9:19 PM  

  • My knives are all *very* sharp.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 9:26 PM  

  • Oh sweetheart. . has happened to the best of us. Best advise is to not plan anything and go for it usually works out to be more fun.

    A well planned night for me always turned out shite. . thats life x

    By Blogger erindoorz, at 5:43 PM  

  • next time you should definately snog your friends.

    and invite LC along to watch.


    btw, YAY YOU"RE BACK!!!!1!

    By Blogger Chaucer's Bitch, at 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home