Spinsterella

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Miss Brightside

(After yesterday’s miserable post about spending the last 40 years of my life brain-damaged/paraplegic/otherwise unable to look after myself ALL ALONE, here are some happy thoughts.)

Good things about being a tragic singleton who rents a room in a shared house at the age of nearly thirty-fucking-two.

  • Minimises responsibility and time spent on really boring shit like paying bills. Most are included in my rent so other than going through the phone bill every few months (which, ok, is a complete pain in the arse) I never have to think about checking meters or paying bills. And I’m unlikely ever to get a sudden demand for thousands of pounds like Patroclus just because the utility company fucks up. Also - lots of hours saved every year by not being stuck on hold for some incompetent temp.
  • You can ‘borrow’ milk’n’stuff. Within reason.
  • Furniture is provided. Useful.
  • I can afford to live in a not too shitty area in a nice big house with a garden and a fishpond.
  • In fact, it's a fucking bargain
  • Someone to talk to (sometimes)

Labels:

12 Comments:

  • Agreed. I'm not 32 though and bills are regrettably not included here but all the rest applies.

    By Blogger Billy, at 9:27 PM  

  • Oh god - don't worry about it - I was living in rented shared accommodation until I was 35. Now I don't 5 years on and sometimes wish I still do. How sad is that?!

    By Blogger rockmother, at 9:39 PM  

  • You are only 6 years old in Dog Years.

    By Blogger Murph, at 10:00 PM  

  • I wish I had a fishpond. And housemates who would maintain it for my enjoyment, obviously.

    By Blogger violetforthemoment, at 10:47 PM  

  • You can have parties together and then get off with all their mates.

    By Blogger Annie Rhiannon, at 11:34 PM  

  • My housemates cook for me. It's like having two wives, and it's not even illegal!

    By Blogger Warrior Two, at 7:43 AM  

  • everything you like you get to do YOUR WAY. no compromising every damn decision to death.

    oh FUCK i miss that.

    By Blogger First Nations, at 6:04 PM  

  • The benefits of being single in your own home: you can eat baked beans and peppers and not worry about other occupants complaining about the pungent consequences; you can sit on the loo with the door open and (in my case) see the TV.

    By Blogger llewtrah, at 8:08 PM  

  • Really - you wouldn't want to get off with my flatmates' various mates.

    Nice blokes, but, *wouldn't*

    If I left the bathroom door open I'd be able to see - the hall. Not very exciting.

    Obviously, I REALLY desperately want my own place, but until I get a massive pay rise (ie never), it's not so bad really.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 8:42 PM  

  • Off topic, I know, but I wondered if La Spinster was aware that there is a slim volume of short stories by one of her fave authors available in the Pocket Penguins series. "9th & 13th", by Jonathan Coe contains the only 4 stories the man has (as yet) written.

    From his introduction:

    "This collection represents my complete output of short stories in the last fifteen years which is a bit of a joke. [it is 4 millimetres thick. And that's laminated...] I thought of calling it "The Collected Shorter Prose", but decided that the joke might then become laboured..."

    L.U.V. on ya,

    Bob

    By Blogger Robert Swipe, at 11:42 AM  

  • i don't suppose you're looking for a quiet housemate who's handy in the kitchen by any chance, are you?

    By Blogger Chaucer's Bitch, at 2:36 PM  

  • The main qualifying factor for housemates is that they don't know about my Top Secret Internet Life.

    And CB, I know what you and the Pirate get up to - you don't sound *that* quiet.

    Bob, I shall pop into Borders on Saturday and read it there.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home