Spinsterella

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Fancy Dress Strikes Again (maybe)

Something that I failed to mention in my recent I-only-pull-in-fancy-dress post is the fact that it doesn’t always work. Not by a long shot. One of the many occasions I have gotten all tarted up without so much as a sniff was this New Year’s Eve.

I Nana Mouskouri (except I couldn’t get any glasses so it was a bit pointless but it did at least give me a chance to air my Margot frock again).

I even managed to talk to some people other than my own friends for a change, but not any cute boys. Specifically, not either of the cute little boy-men who work behind the bar. They intrigue me, these men – because, actually, they’re not young, they’re about my age.

(What are they doing working in a pub at that age? And didn’t I give up sharking after cute bartenders ten years ago?)

Some of (boy) Flatmate’s friends are proper regulars in there, so after closing time on NYE most of them ended up going back to a house party with the staff. Due to extraordinary drunkenness I went home to bed. When Flatmate filled me in the next morning I was torn between thinking damn, missed opportunity and thank fuck I didn’t get talking to either cute bloke while that pissed.

Then last Saturday night in the pub Flatmate was getting a round in. I had just been mugged on my way home and so was fairly merry on all the sympathy drinks plus shock. ‘The barman wants to buy you a drink,’ Flatmate said, so we both went back over and had a chat with cute barman #1. I told him my tale of woe and showed him the nasty graze on my hip from where I’d been dragged along the ground (which also gave me the opportunity to flash my (reasonably) taut stomach at him). This is all a bit hazy as my memory disappears when I’ve had a few.

Sunday morning I was chatting to Flatmate and his girlfriend.

‘That cute barman bought me a drink last night,’ I said excitedly.

‘He likes you’, said Flatmate. He then explained that a couple of months ago his friend Adam gave cute barman a CD with all of our NYE photos on it.

‘He’s probably got pictures of you all over his bedroom wall,’ he added mischieviously.

His girlfriend joined in. ‘You looked really pretty in those pictures,’ she said. I think she may have been Being Nice because in all of the photos I saw I was wearing Rob’s really hideous Matthew Kelly wig.

Anyhow, it looks like I owe cute barman a drink, doesn’t it?



PS – I have mentioned both Adam and Rob before. God, maybe I’ll have to get one of those ‘Cast of Characters’ things.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

  • I think you definitely owe him a drink. But the mugging sounds horrific - are you OK?

    By Blogger patroclus, at 9:25 PM  

  • fine, wait, wait, wait wait wait.
    you GOT MUGGED LAST WEEK? WTF??
    well hell yes buy the man a drink.
    you got MUGGED last week???

    By Blogger First Nations, at 11:06 PM  

  • It wasn't that Emma Forrest, was it? She's a wrong 'un.

    By Blogger Tim Footman, at 1:00 AM  

  • Sounds rotten - the mugging, not the man. Hope you're ok (and of course you must buy him a drink!)

    By Blogger Fussy Bitch, at 10:21 AM  

  • Yeah - I'm fine. Just a couple of badly bruised knees and my hip-graze.

    Surprised it doesn't happen more often the amount I spend tramping around by myself.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 1:23 PM  

  • how d'you get dragged though? Was it someone on a bike?

    that happened to me once when I was 18 - I've still got the scars on my hip.

    Anyhow - sympathy.

    By Blogger GreatSheElephant, at 11:18 PM  

  • Hope you're not feeling too down about it. Pisses me off, some twats really do need a good slapping.

    By Blogger LC, at 1:29 PM  

  • Spinny I think you ought to work out a less extreme way of getting an excuse to flash your stomach at nice barmen.

    Good luck though - I'm excited already!

    By Blogger looby, at 6:46 PM  

  • I once got mugged in Bristol but I only had £1 on me. I was terrified I was going to get a pasting for being so useless but the guy just pissed off. Most annoying.

    By Blogger Billy, at 9:59 PM  

  • I've got a thing about Nana Mouskouri - a very beautiful ladyyyyyyy - as a former - okay, the wife - was the spitting image, with a slightly better dress sense.

    Never been mugged like everyone else, though. Sorry.

    Wyndham

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

  • I've got a Nan Mouskouri fridge magnet.

    By Anonymous looby, at 12:49 PM  

  • We never had cute barmen. They all looked like man-ape hybrids. Though one such barman was pretty good when I was having rows with he-who-is-now-ex-husband and I was able to enjoy some lock-ins in his pub (consuming only orange juice) because I couldn't face going home.

    By Blogger llewtrah, at 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home