Spinsterella

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

People who fancy me are all fucking nutcases # 1

The Scene: Kepler Track - New Zealand.

It’s supposed to be a three-day hike, but on day two myself and the sixty-odd other people sharing the bunkhouse awoke after a chilly night’s sleep to discover we’d been snowed in. (In Summer!)The wardens strongly advised us not to venture out so we were all trapped in the hut for the next twenty-four hours. It was good fun though - the camaraderie was great, I met loads of fellow-travellers, including an English guy called John, and read my way though an enormous pile of ancient National Geographics.

Back on the ground John happened to be staying in the same hostel as me. And he wouldn’t bloody leave me alone. He came and joined me when I was eating, reading, watching TV, nodding with wide-eyed enthusiasm and laughing uproariously at everything I said.

Not wanting to hurt his feelings, I gently discouraged him. When he invited me along to the pub with his friends, I just said no thanks. Your average bloke would give up quietly at this point, but not John. One morning I excused myself from his company, saying that I had to go and hand-wash my sleeping bag.

Finally, it was my last night. It’d only been a few days, but the effort of being nice to John while keeping him at arm’s length was taking its toll. I was in my dorm packing my bag, when he stuck his head through the door and asked me if I fancied a drink. "Sorry," I explained, "I’ve got to get up really early for a bus in the morning". As he turned to go I saw he had two bottles of beer in his hand.

I felt a bit guilty.

A couple of minutes later the two German girls who had also been in the dorm went out, and John burst back into the room. His puppy-dog demeanor had disappeared and his round face was pink with fury.

"I do not appreciate," he spat, "being laughed at by a bunch of giggling girls".

As he ranted on, I figured out that the German girls must have laughed at some point. It wasn’t at him, they’d been absorbed in their own conversation. Mad. I tried to placate him, but he wasn’t having any of it, and went off, still raging.


Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • On the basis of that, I'm looking forward to parts, er, where's the button ... ah, yes oh no, it's not here ... just parts 2, 3 and 4

    By Anonymous 100 Words, at 9:52 PM  

  • What do you expect giggling girls to do apart from laugh?

    By Blogger Billy, at 10:59 PM  

  • I am now frantically casting my mind back for any "hand-wash my sleeping bag"-like excuses in my past...

    By Blogger Salvadore Vincent, at 11:18 PM  

  • wow. he'd have to become a pedo to date girls of his own maturity level.

    By Blogger Chaucer's Bitch, at 11:45 PM  

  • Lucky escape, methinks.

    By Blogger Hannah, at 12:42 PM  

  • Beats the 'washing the hair excuse' hands down. Nice work.

    By Blogger James, at 3:24 PM  

  • Hum, poor John. Yes, a little bit of a nutter, I concede that, but the way you portrait him, he appears rather sweet. He obviously had self-confidence issues, I am imagining, and he also fancied you a lot.

    I also sympathise with you, though. I have been in worse situations like that, I think. Like having an ex-priest converted into a Uni student with loads of tatoos in his body, bringing me breakfast in the morning, uninvited, and also fabricating weird excuses to invite me for dinner (like, I bought these really nice Spanish artichokes in the supermarket... they are from Spain... - I'm Spanish, and this happened in the USA).

    Yes, I do tend to get lots of attention from "JUST-the-kind-of-men-i-do-NOT-fancy."

    By Anonymous mar, at 4:47 PM  

  • But he left you alone after that, no?

    By Blogger Mangonel, at 7:13 PM  

  • Possibly only becasue I was getting on a bus at 7 the next morning...

    Still, at least he didn't bring me breakfast. That's waaay creepier than anything I've ever experienced.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 8:21 PM  

  • Breakfast?!? I heard that Charles Saatchi is so besotted by Nigella that he brushes her teeth.

    By Blogger Mangonel, at 12:54 PM  

  • Maybe Nigella just doesn't take a hint easily?

    By Blogger Fussy Bitch, at 1:53 PM  

  • at least the people who fancy you aren't cross eyed.

    By Anonymous rivergirlie, at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home