Spinsterella

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Yet another wedding.

Have you ever received a text message on your landline? It’s a bit disorientating.

A strange voice said, ‘this is a message from phone number 077…’ and I was scrabbling around for a pen, assuming it would be for Flatmate. As I was scribbling down the last few digits a different voice was well into the message before I cottoned on it was for me.

‘…apparently Sinead got married the other day on Ellis Island.’

(Sinead is one of my oldest, but no longer closest friends, as I have mentioned before.)

Ellis Island, is that one of the Blaskets? No, hang on, it’s in New York. Fuck! Details haven’t been forthcoming from the bride as of yet – but the rumours are that they had only three guests, two of her siblings and his best mate.

I need to explain a little bit more about Sinead’s background. She is one of eight children with an extraordinarily strict and religious mother. (Much more strict even than one of our other friends whose Mum goes to Mass every day and gives out Holy Communion and says the Rosary ever night.)

While the rest of us started going to the junior disco at the age of 12, Sinead wasn’t allowed. In fact she didn’t get out until she was about 16. One night she got absolutely trolleyed on Diamond White and had to be carried out of the club by the DJ. I was driving, and he insisted I should take her home. "I can’t take her home," I said, "her Ma’s an evil witch!" Unfortunately the ‘evil witch’ comment is all that Sinead can remember about the whole night before she passed out again in the back of my parents’ car.

She was 29 before she managed to confess to her mother that she had stopped going to Mass regularly. You get the picture. So to deny mother her moment of glory in the local church…

Good for her.

9 Comments:

  • I've had landline text messages. They are very odd, especially the preceding fanfare.

    By Blogger Billy, at 9:53 PM  

  • Wow - bit of a step out for her, wasn't it, then? Though when I see my friends going nuts over the guest list, seating plan, and flowers, I can understand the desire to get married as simply as possible.

    By Blogger Melissa, at 3:06 AM  

  • Yup, it's the way forward.

    I wouldn't have liked to bhave been in the room when Ma was informed.

    Our other (married) friend has already been a bit sniffy about it on email...

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 1:49 PM  

  • I recommend vicus' post on weddings and what a pain in the arse they are.Your friend did the right thing.

    By Blogger realdoc, at 3:42 PM  

  • good for her! you're right; that was a shot upside the head!
    to the day she died my mother never considered me really married because it didn't occur in a catholic church.
    *plaintive playing of tiny violins*
    of course the fact that the little weasel assaulted me in her house means nothing compared to THAT heinous crime....

    By Blogger First Nations, at 12:09 AM  

  • Yay for her. If satan does get chilly and I do it again I'm bogging off and grabbing a couple of strangers (as witnesses, not spouses)

    Filthy texts sent to the landline are stupidly amusing.

    By Blogger Fussy Bitch, at 7:46 PM  

  • Dad accidentally texts my landline by accident and wonders why I don't (a) text him back and (b) do whatever he wanted done in his text message (which, of course, I won't have received until I get back home).

    We end getting conversations like this when I drop in my folks:

    Dad - did you bring the whatever) like I asked?
    Me - when did you ask?
    Dad - I sent a text

    I get out the phone to double check and there are no messages. Hours later, I get home and there's a message via my landline. And this person has got the internet too!

    By Blogger llewtrah, at 12:47 PM  

  • not the least bit surprised. i went to catholic school and all the kids with uber-strict parents swung the pendulum as far as possible in the other direction at the earliest possible moment. ("The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.") Short leashes snap. simple as.

    i'm glad you finally have a happy wedding story!

    By Blogger Chaucer's Bitch, at 1:54 PM  

  • Good for her indeed.

    Ahh, Diamond White... who hasn't got trolleyed on that?

    By Blogger Tabby Rabbit, at 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home