Spinsterella

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Jonathan Donahue is just my type: tall, skinny and odd-looking.

But the last time I saw Mercury Rev live, closer to the stage than I’d before, I saw that he’s not that skinny after all. In fact he’s lean, toned and muscular (and oh yes, a bit sinewy), with a fantastic arse.

He was wearing a white shirt, a waistcoat, and proper formal trousers, which, it seems, do a much better job of enhancing the male form than dull old denim.

A few weeks later I saw Ed Harcourt, who was dressed in an identical rig-out. Young Ed’s a bit more conventionally good-looking, but I’d never thought of him in *that* way until I realised that he also appears to have a stonkingly hot body.

(Golly gosh, it was never like this in my day. We had Carter and Neds and the twig-like Mark Gardner (and if you don't recognise those names you've had a lucky escape, believe me).)

How strange. Generally I like stubbled scruffbags in tatty old jeans and white t-shirts (just fitted enough so you can tell that they have no body fat whatsoever). But it looks like proper trousers and shirts and stuff is the way forward.

Hmmm.

Although…

If I saw a lad walking down the street dressed like that, I would immediately assume he was an insufferably pretentious twat. Or, worse, that he was trying to emulate R*ss*ll Br*nd.

Maybe not then.

16 Comments:

  • My take on the suit-thing is that I find men in suits very attractive if and only if they look like they are slightly uncomfortable in them, like they wouldn't usually wear them. Is this sexist? I'm sure it would be if someone said the same thing about girls and high heels.

    By Blogger Loganoc, at 10:10 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger violetforthemoment, at 10:36 PM  

  • Mr Violet has always had a penchant for such attire and, happily, bears more than a passing resemblance to Sir Jarvis of Cocker. My general rule on men in formal trousers/shirts/waistcoats etc is it's OK if they're lanky northerners with right messy hair who exude a general air of sex.

    [Previous post had a misplaced apostrophe. Nearly fell off me chair with shame.]

    By Blogger violetforthemoment, at 10:38 PM  

  • Sigh... Hot men in jeans always makes me happy, until I see a really well-dressed man.

    By Blogger Sassy Sundry, at 3:31 AM  

  • I once dossed down in the living room of a mate's flat in Melbourne next to Les Carter. I didn't even twig it was him until the next morning when he did a interview over the phone.

    He was actually a very nice bloke, and didn't snore or fart all night.

    By Blogger Kellycat, at 7:00 AM  

  • Formal trousers make me itch but I quite like dressing-up, as long as there's a scruffy element to it.

    (Gosh that sounds a bit like "there's always been a dance element to our music")

    By Blogger Billy, at 8:10 AM  

  • How about an over made up 6ft 5 in. tall man with a large beergut wearing a Chanel twin set and pearls, seamed stockings and size 12 fuck-me pumps (oh, and an Arsenal scarf...), Spin??

    Always does it for *me*...

    xxxx

    'Berta

    p.s. wrod vrecficication: tdozes - c'mon! There's no such word!!

    By Blogger Robert A. Swipe, at 9:48 AM  

  • for a master class on How Men Should Dress, go watch reruns of Jeeves and Wooster. Bertie Wooster is a twat, but OH MY GOD THE TAILORING!!!

    If you can't afford custom-cut, Saville Row duds, I recommend joining the Royal Navy. Nothing says "MAN" like a properly-cut uniform.

    By Blogger Chaucer's Bitch, at 10:10 AM  

  • Hey, Spinny! Lay off the body fat. Some of us can't help being slightly cuddlable.

    By Blogger dive, at 10:40 AM  

  • see, I've always found the sharp-suit thing a masive turn-off.

    Maybe I'm growing up?

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 11:14 AM  

  • What about blazer & slacks?

    By Blogger Geoff, at 1:33 PM  

  • One of the good things about being a bloke is not giving a shit about what clothes women wear - if she's hot, she's hot, even if she's wearing tattered rags.

    Hmmm... especially if she's wearing tattered rags.

    By Blogger LC, at 6:46 PM  

  • Billy, who said "there's always been a dance element to our music"?

    I like men in suits on special occassions. The rest of the time I like scruff.

    By Blogger Annie Rhiannon, at 7:13 PM  

  • I have a major thing for men in formal wear, especially if they're built like they lug heavy things about all day.

    My ex was an undertaker, had the widest shoulders and smallest hips/arse I'd ever seen and looked absolutely stunning dressed for work.

    By Blogger Fussy Bitch, at 2:06 PM  

  • Oh, I just realised I forgot to give this post a title. Moron.

    I always associate the 'dance music element' quote with The Soup Dragons. I don't know if anyone ever said those exact words though.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 4:35 PM  

  • Anyone fancy a gorilla?

    By Blogger Gorilla Bananas, at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home