Spinsterella

Friday, May 12, 2006

Spinsterella watches the telly

Last Friday night, at 9pm, I was not:

1. Away
2. Out
3. Drunk
4. Asleep

This unusual event meant that for the first time ever, I was able to watch Green Wing. A bit late to the party, but I can finally join the massed ranks of fellow bloggers from this part of the world. It’s not a great idea to start watching a TV show halfway through the second series though, as I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

But I loved all the women characters.

Tamsin Greig is a goddess, obviously. And I’ve always thought that Sally Phillips has an unbearably smug voice, so it’s great to see her playing an unbearably smug character.

I loved the mad, skinny, smoking woman with the bad posture.

I loved the mad scary Scottish woman with the pony-tail.

Most of all I loved the four women in the office. Especially the one played by the wonderful chick from Peep Show. And her cardigans.

But the men?

What’s going on there? I keep reading about some gorgeous man-actor type, but I figure he must have left after series one. I generally fancy dark, curly-haired types, but the dark. curly haired type in GW? Probably not.

Surely they can’t mean Mac ??? Mac looks like Podge. Except I couldn't find a picture of the original Podge (he's the one on the left by the way) who was much lumpier of face and his mouth didn't open but he could still talk.


16 Comments:

  • yes they do. Mystifying isn't it

    By Blogger GreatSheElephant, at 4:31 PM  

  • Very thin ice Spin. I just saw Patroclus stuffing a Derringer into her handbag and buying a train ticket to Briztol...

    By Blogger LC, at 4:55 PM  

  • Oh, hey, that crush is *so* 2004. The GW cognoscenti have moved on to the one with the lilac tank top and the hairband and the tamagotchi.

    So, pretty much as you were, then.

    By Blogger patroclus, at 6:16 PM  

  • Yep totally weird isn't it?!

    He's so 'girly'!

    Fab mad prog! (christ!)

    By Blogger Sooz, at 7:18 PM  

  • I love GW its one of the few things on telly that actually makes me pee myself with laughter. I'd try and take a gander at the 1st series if I were you it was just as good.

    By Blogger Birdie, at 7:31 PM  

  • Well, thanks for the tip - seeing as it's another Fri night in I might give Green Wing a whirl. Now, where's that rose´?

    By Blogger rockmother, at 7:34 PM  

  • Happy Saturday birthday!

    By Blogger MJ, at 12:00 AM  

  • GW is BRILL! And if none of you is lusting after Mac, then I'll happily have him all to myself...

    By Blogger Hannah, at 12:37 AM  

  • Er. OK. I don't get the Green Wing... :( Obv. missing out?

    By Blogger No Shit Sherlock, at 11:09 AM  

  • the tall blonde guy who torments the one with the moustache - is definitely the guy for me - he is gorgeous.

    By Blogger Kirses, at 3:50 PM  

  • Its never too late to join GW fan ranks. Never.
    I'm afraid to have to tell you though that Mac IS sexy, and this is considered fact by much of the GW cult. Unfortunately for him, he's got tough competition from the longish-haired, walking spaghetti type. And Boyce. And (on occasion), Guy, when his character isnt being too hideous.
    Yep. GW fandom is basically one big cult, consisting mainly of lustful women.

    By Blogger Aimee, at 2:25 AM  

  • *Discerning* women.

    By Blogger patroclus, at 8:24 AM  

  • Oh, I think Mac has lost a lot of his appeal in this series because he seems less in control, what with all these confusing family things going on.

    On the other hand, I found Guys toilet speech extremely moving. I really hope he'll get the girl.

    By Blogger Loganoc, at 10:51 AM  

  • I've never seen GW, but lots of people say I should.

    I've made reference to the goddessness of Tamsin Greig elsewhere. The voice. I first developed a crush on Debbie Aldridge...and couldn't understand why my fictional love interest preferred bad men and crop rotation theory.

    She has done nothing to dissuade me from open-mouthed admiration since.

    By Blogger krusty the baker, at 11:21 AM  

  • *whispers*

    iquitefancyguysecretan

    *runs away*

    By Blogger surly girl, at 6:37 PM  

  • Having watched a second episode, I'm seconding Surly. Curly dark hair and a complete wanker - all I want really.

    I've just spont a fruitless half hour on tinterweb trying to find a picture of Podge (off of The Zag and Podge Show, this will only make sense to Irish people of a certain age) who looks just like Mac.

    Think big lumpy papier-mache head.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home