Spinsterella

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The response..

So, here's (pretty much) what I said. Which neatly sums up my feelings on men, relationships, life, the universe and everything.


"Well, yes, this did take me a bit by surprise.

What do I say?

Well, just that, much as I like you, I've never thought of you in *that* way.

I realise that you've got a point, and that a lot of people believe that, ahem, 'feelings' can grow out of a friendship. Most people, probably. I'm just not one of them. I'm really, really happy with my life, and for me to give up my merry-spinsterhood would take a lot.

I expect a guy to knock me off my chair just with his presence, make my heart race. And before you dismiss that as a load of hopelessly unrealistic old bollocks, I have had it before, maybe half-a-dozen* times. Obviously, they didn't last forever, but they were still a lot more successful that my attempts to go out with men who I didn't fancy all that much. When I've tried to do this, I've only developed an increased lack-of-respect for the poor bloke, and for myself as a result. I've pissed off various friends over the years by heartlessly ditching men for no obvious reason whatsoever.

I just really like my own space and my own company.

I'm sorry of this sounds harsh. Or bonkers, but it's just the way I feel.

I'm a fucking nightmare anyhow, you're well out of it..."


*OK, two were travelling flings, so we can probably discount them. Two were my (relative) LTRs, and two didn't work out due to circumstances**, but I'd have liked them to.

**'Circumstances' being distance. Plus the fact that they didn't like me as much as I liked them. Possibly.

13 Comments:

  • It could be worse. I can't even get a date, never mind reject one. Actually, I could reject one. I got some right munters at my place...

    By Blogger No Shit Sherlock, at 9:38 AM  

  • So you didn't feel tempted to add: "By the way, you're a fucking reptile."

    By Blogger Wyndham, at 10:18 AM  

  • Well put. And why should you give up merry spinsterhood for anything less than that? You shouldn't.

    *Makes lots of 'you go girl, uh-huh' agreeing noises*

    By Blogger The Lady Muck, at 11:50 AM  

  • it's heartening to know i'm not the only one out there holding out for what i want rather than just being with someone for the sake of it! and my mum calls me fussy - pah, what does she know?

    By Blogger Kirses, at 1:56 PM  

  • I wholeheartedly agree with you - there has to be shedloads of lust at the beginning before I'll even contemplate.

    By Blogger Sherbert, at 5:04 PM  

  • Well done. "Marry in haste, repent at leisure."
    *adjusts her blue stockings*

    and by the way, McG, may I have another helping of crow? thank you.

    By Blogger First Nations, at 11:09 PM  

  • Well he cant say he doesnt know where he stands!

    (This comment would have been longer but the word verification alone will take 5 minutes to type in and as they started paying me 44 minutes ago I really should start doing some work at some point today)

    By Blogger Fuckkit, at 9:46 AM  

  • Dang right. My perpetual singledom suits me fine too. There just aren't any nice girls out there!

    By Blogger Steve, at 6:12 PM  

  • Update!

    I have had a response...

    He's...

    wait for it...

    "not too bothered"

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 8:20 PM  

  • what a dick.

    By Anonymous riddledwiththepox, at 8:51 PM  

  • Computer says no.

    By Blogger Wyndham, at 9:20 AM  

  • Know just how you feel, dear. Give me an exiting flirt any day. I had lunch with one of my students today. Covered in acne and piercings and stuttering the whole time, the student that is. It made me feel old and wanted.

    By Blogger Ceridwen Devi, at 9:26 PM  

  • Exciting even! Exiting sounds kinda final.

    By Blogger Ceridwen Devi, at 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home