Spinsterella

Monday, March 27, 2006

Me Me Me

No, I don't know how to pronounce 'meme' either. But I've been tagged by tim so here ya go. And the best thing is, it's about music. Oh yes, I get to inflict my tragically narrow-minded indie-rock obsessions on you and there's nothing you can do about it. Ha! (Apart from go away. Normal service will resume shortly.)

A track from your early childhood

Bridge Over Troubled Water. I can remember Simon and Garfunkle on the telly in the house my family moved from when I was three. My only other memory from that house is of eating some soap one day. I didn’t like it much.

A track that you associate with your first love

Blood Sugar Sex Magic – Red Hot Chili Peppers He was 15, I was 17, we were in the Gaeltacht* - smoking fags in the fresh sea air (him, not me), snogging, and getting chased out of the boys’ house by the Bean-a-ti who called me a slut. Very bad behaviour on her part, they weren't supposed to speak to us in anything other than Irish.

*Irish language summer school. More about my Gaeltacht adventures some time in the future

A track that reminds you of a holiday trip

You Am IHeavy Heart I’d just arrived in Perth (the one in Australia, not in Scotland), and this came on the radio one day. I ran out to my Aussie flatmate saying "what is this?" They instantly became one of my favourite bands. Proper shambolic Aussie pub-rock with lots of hand-claps and "whoooo"s and "aright"s; fronted by an unkempt, skinny, permanently pissed rock'n'roll genius.

A track that you like but wouldn’t want to be associated with in public.

Everything by Billy Joel. Shhh, don’t tell anyone.

A track that accompanied you when you were lovesick

"Have you heard the new Verve song, Bittersweet Symphony? It’s really good," my ex said to me at work one day.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" I responded. "How dare you come up to me and have a normal conversation when I haven’t eaten since you dumped me almost a week ago and I have only just stopped crying and I am barely holding it together you absolute cunting bastard!".

(I didn’t really. I said, yeah, it’s good.)

A track that you have probably listened to most often

The Queen is Dead – my second ever purchased and therefore most long-serving album. (The first, Now That’s What I call Music Volume 3, got taped over fairly sharpish.)

A track that is your favourite instrumental

Instrumental? I’m not fifty! Um. One of those jaunty dance-round-the-kitchen numbers by The Bees.

A track that represents one of your favourite bands

The Patron Saint of Mediocrity by legendary Irish Nearly-men A House Their most famous song by a long shot is Endless Art (and I get very over-excited when it pops up on the best fucking radio station ever every now and again) but it’s not their best. They are fucking brilliant. Were. *sigh*

A track which represents yourself best

Flagpole Sitta - Harvey Danger All together now….Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding, the cretins cloning and feeding, and I don’t even own a tv...

A track that reminds you of a special occasion (which one?)

"I know it’s Spinny’s thirtieth birthday, and she’s never had a house party before, but for fuck’s sake don’t let her anywhere near the stereo or she’ll only play Feelgood Hit of the Summer by Queens of the Stone Age sixteen times in a row."

Damn fucking straight she will.

A track that you can relax to

I’m always pretty relaxed.

A track that stands for a really good time in your life

Christ, I’ve had a lot of good times. In fact, pretty much everything’s been really good, apart from the 6 months I spent living in Satan’s Pit of Hell*. I could go for something from Ride, who were the first band I saw at my first ever festival – Feile ’91. Or I sucked a lot of cock to get where I am by top Aussie mentalists Regurgitator. When I was in Australia it made me happy beyond measure that songs with swearing in them would get played on the radio in the middle of the day. Outside by the Beta Band reminds me of Bristol (and I love it here). Partly because it was released when I first moved here, but also because it’s got seagulls. As does Bristol. There ya go!

*Reading. Obviously.

A track that is currently your favourite

The Fallen - Franz Ferdinand Doesn’t it make you want to go and trash Tescos? And have a disco in the aisles? And cop off with tall, skinny, pretentious fopps in stripy tops?

A track that you’d dedicate to your best friend

She’s got rubbish taste in music (she likes the Lighthouse Family for fuck’s sake) so she’s not allowed her music on my blog. Oh OK, the ONLY artist ever that we both like is Stevie Wonder. And who doesn’t like Stevie Wonder? She can have Sir Duke, thank-you-very-much

A track that you like especially for its lyrics

Thorn of Crowns by the Bunnymen C-C-C-Cucumber, C-C-C-Cabbage, C-C-C-Cauliflower, never come out of the Fridge


Oh, and Song for the Dumped - Ben Folds Five So you wanted to take a break? Slow it down and have some space. FUCK YOU TOO. Give me my money back you bitch. (And don’t forget to give me back my black t-shirt.)

A track that you like that’s neither English nor German

Oh dear. I’m a bit lacking in foreign music. I certainly don’t have anything sung in German.
*rifles through CD collection*

Ah, Stereolab. Empress Tomato Ketchup. I like that Ping Pong song too. Oh, and Air. That’s it.

A track that lets you release tension best

I don’t really have tension. Um. Anything with the lyrics "AAAARRRRGH, MUTHERFUCKER!!!!" Rage Against the Machine maybe.

A track that you want to be played on your funeral

It’s Not the End of the World by the Super Furry Animals and Only the Earth Endures by the Waterboys. Not a dry eye in the house, kids.



15 Comments:

  • Wicked list. Forgot about song for the dumped. It's a classic... Am now rifling through old cassettes and feeling all nostalgic, thanks for that Spins!

    By Blogger The Lady Muck, at 2:25 PM  

  • it's a while since I've done a music post. May I self tag please?

    By Blogger GreatSheElephant, at 2:51 PM  

  • Oo, Ride. Apparently there's a Mighty Shoegaze Revival going on at the moment, and all the kids - who weren't even *born* in 1991 - are all listening to Ride. Which is just fine with me, because it reminds me of how cute that Mark Gardener used to be, and how I lost a shoe at one of their gigs.

    *drifts off into pleasant nostalgic reverie*

    By Blogger patroclus, at 4:29 PM  

  • Yup - I tag anybody who can be arsed (it took me bloody ages).

    Mark Gardener was supposed to play at Truck Festival last year, but he couldn't make it, so Loz, the drummer, played a load of acoustic songs instead.

    He's really, um, grown into himself, if you know what I mean. Very gorgeous these days.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 4:40 PM  

  • Props for mentioning Ben Folds, it's always good to be reminded of him again!

    Wasn't The Man Don't Give a Fuck a massive hit in Australia?

    I'm probably going to regret this, but I'd like to have a go at such a list myself, it'll have to wait until tomorrow though. :)

    By Blogger Billy, at 6:43 PM  

  • omigod! i got wasted with echo and the bunnymen!!!!!!!!! this is waaaaaaay back in the distant past. but i did. yup. they were playing this strange venue on pine st. in portland, oregon-it was an auditorium-cum-lighting showroom so whenever they turned it up you could hear the glass dangly dojobs on the chandeliers jangling up above the dancefloor.

    By Blogger First Nations, at 7:25 PM  

  • Yeah, I wanted to squeeze The Man Don't Give a Fuck onto the list somewhere. They did a stonking 20 minute version of it at Reading a couple of years ago. (Demented Irish chick jumping up-and-down like a twat - yup - me.)

    And First Nations - you've been on the lash with the mighty Mac? Or God, as I tend to think of him....

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 9:09 PM  

  • And as he thinks of himself. Still.

    Damn fine list, Spin. Billy Joel, eh? (sniggers)

    By Blogger Tim Footman, at 1:27 AM  

  • The Super Furry Animals never let you down, do they? Well, occasionally they do, but they have been consistently good considering they've been going so long. Mind you, having a tasty looking frontman doesn't do their cause any harm, heh heh.

    By Blogger Betty, at 8:49 AM  

  • wont' take me long - I only know two songs

    By Blogger GreatSheElephant, at 12:33 PM  

  • Oh, your first entry matches Chaucers Bitch's! Also, Heavy Heart is one of the most beautiful + sad songs I know. I don't understand why You Am I are not much bigger in the UK.

    By Blogger Loganoc, at 12:47 PM  

  • yeah. *blushing*
    i didn't know they were anybody then...this had to be about 1980. good weed. couldn't even tell you what they looked like, other than they wore a lot of black, and one guy had a pink feather boa.
    don't hit me.

    By Blogger First Nations, at 9:23 PM  

  • feelgood hit of the summer - class.

    By Anonymous riddledwiththepox, at 10:40 AM  

  • thought I would say hi! Great list by the way x

    By Blogger Moo, at 8:56 PM  

  • Yay! The Man Don't Give a Fuck invariably makes me cry with joy and throw myself embarrassingly around the sitting room (until I go a bit red and sweaty and have to sit down with a cup of Horlics. Being over 30 sucks ass).

    By Anonymous Mr Custard, at 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home