Spinsterella

Thursday, August 11, 2005

The Dating Game

There's one reason why I'm envious of Americans - they have the dating game down to a fine art. I know from a lifetime of US TV and films (especially Seinfeld) how it works - you meet someone, go out on a date, and take it from there....
But it just doesn't work like that over here...OK, now I'm a grown-up (since the age of about 27), yes, I do get to go out for dinner and drinks with guys I'm seeing, but I have never gone out on a date with a man I hadn't already kissed.

UK dating goes like this....

1. Be really drunk.
2. Snog (obligatory)
3. Shag (optional)
and if you think you still like one another, then you get to...
4. Date

So by the time you got to the dating stage it's all a foregone conclusion. But if you're really not hitting it off, well then you have to go through an break-up situation. Because we don't have that casual meet-someone-go-for-coffee culture, I think we probably miss out on a lot of opportunities to meet guys. On the other hand, because we go straight for the kill, I figure at least we don't waste a whole lot of time and effort getting to know someone without getting any action...

Swings-and-roundabouts...

6 Comments:

  • I wouldn't say I've got it down to any kind of art (or does anyone else around here)...I just date and date and date and hope to get fucked by the same person more than 2-3 times...then I call it dating ;-)

    Step 2 is obligatory snogging...love it! lol

    By Blogger little sister, at 9:49 PM  

  • I'd love obligatory snogging.

    Snogging is as good as shagging for me.

    (Not that I'd turn down the shag.)

    By Blogger The Anonymous Haledjian, at 4:09 PM  

  • OMG! I so wanted obligatory snogging with CulturedScientistMatchGuy tonight, but alas, he was so respectful...not even a French kiss, dammit! He did keep his arm around me at the comedy club, however, and we have a 'mini-date' tentatively scheduled this week with a 'regular date' scheduled for Saturday...wish me luck, Spinsta, I totally like this guy...he's totally shagging material!

    By Blogger little sister, at 6:36 AM  

  • I think u should buy a ticket to the US and try it "seinfeld " style. Good luck to you.

    By Blogger ultrarunningmybuttoff, at 4:01 PM  

  • I don't like Glastonbury Guy anymore.

    Will fill you in later...

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 2:37 PM  

  • What? Glasto is Busto?

    By Blogger The Anonymous Haledjian, at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home