Spinsterella

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Conversations with my mother

Strict Catholic upbringing, middle class in the 1950s (long before the Celtic Tiger hit), a long dead father, ill mother, boarding school (with nuns) - no wonder my mother is a touch uptight.

Here are some things we have never spoken about:

sex
periods
underwear
breast feeding
contraception

You get the picture.

But every now and then, about once a year at most, we have the following conversation

- So, how's the social life?
- Fantastic, really busy
- Anybody special on the scene?

For fuck's sake mother, if I had a boyfriend I'd frigging tell you about it! And can't you just ask me the question like a normal person?? I'm hardly surprised she's wondering, as far as she knows I have only dated one person since the ex 7 years ago. Oh, if she had any real idea of the fun and frolics to be had as a 30 year old spinster-in-the-city.....

3 Comments:

  • Got here from xTx.

    Love the site!

    By Blogger The Anonymous Haledjian, at 10:51 PM  

  • Why thank you!

    I am touched that the hours I spend at "work" fannying around on the internet are of some interest to someone somewhere in the world.

    By Blogger Spinsterella, at 11:44 AM  

  • Hey, spinster! You're cracking me up here in the middle of corn and soybean fields!

    I love when people say "for fuck's sake."

    btw, thanks for stopping by my site!

    By Blogger little sister, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home