Spinsterella

Thursday, July 21, 2005

No boyfriend? Must be something wrong with her...

I was visiting an old university friend a couple of months ago. It was her husband's thirtieth birthday, so many of the other guests were "their" friends - other couples who've been together since their early twenties. It was one of the first nice days of the year, we'd been sitting out in the back garden having quite a few First-Pimms-of-the-Summer in the sunshine before heading into town when one of the girls said to me;

"I can't believe you haven't got a boyfriend, you're beautiful"

For a start, not even my mother thinks I'm 'beautiful'. Exaggeration aside, I knew what she really meant....if a fat old troglodyte like me can get a man, what's wrong with you? I tried explaining that I was very happy indeed with my life, and that I wasn't looking for a boyfriend, and if I really wanted one, I'm sure I could dredge some fuckwit up from somewhere. I don't think she believed a word of it. But while she may feel just a little bit sorry for me, it's nothing compared to the pity I feel for her if she really believes that her staid, settled life is better than mine.

My gorgoeus single 38 year old flatmate gets it even worse, but when people say they can't believe she's not married, she simply tells them,

"Well, it's not as if I've never been asked"

2 Comments:

  • I saw this on your past posts and decided to check it out. Tooooo funny! "dredge up a fuckwit from somewhere..." and I've done that, and that's exactly what I had for 6 months: a fuckwit. So why bother?

    I guess my excuse for having been married and divorced twice is I'm hard to live with? I don't care...I'm having too much fun dating anyway :)

    love your flatmate's response :D

    By Blogger little sister, at 6:17 PM  

  • Totally know what you're talking about. Especially those smug married bitches who go on about how terrible it is you're still single.

    Anyone can get married, it's not like it's difficult to get someone to ask for fuck's sake.

    By Blogger SBB, at 2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home